Re: troubleshooting replication setup - 2.4.17

G'day Ellie

On 20/09/2021 9:34 am, ellie timoney wrote:
Hi Carl,

On Fri, 17 Sep 2021, at 3:41 PM, Carl Brewer wrote:
I can, but I think I may have things around backwards anyway. I'm trying
to start sync_server on the machine that I'm trying to migrate away
from, which would be the 'master'.  But the man page for sync_server says :
The documentation is correct, and you do have it backwards.

You need to run sync_server on the machine that needs to listen and receive replicated data -- i.e. the replica.  It's called "..._server" because it's a server daemon that binds and listens on a port, and responds to commands sent from elsewhere.

You need to run sync_client on the machine that sends a replication stream elsewhere -- i.e. the master.  It's called "...client" because it opens a connection to a remote service and issues commands to it.

The naming makes sense IF you are aware of the specifics of the usual "client/server" terminology.  But if you're coming from a mental model where "the server is the main thing, and the client is the other thing", then thinking the master should be the server and the replica the client is an easy mistake to make.

If we simply flipped the names around, then it would become confusing to anyone who does understand client/server terminology.  And I guess nobody's yet thought of a naming scheme that wouldn't be confusing to someone, so we stick with the "technically correct" and sometimes have to explain some extra technical detail. :)

Yeah, it's tricky to explain, for sure.  I got it working though, after re-reading the doco a few times. Thank you for your efforts.

Now if I could just get postfix to play nicely ... it's almost working, just ... delivery!

Thank you for your help!

Carl