Again on squatter and cyrus imap 2.5.11

Hi,

I have a server running cyrus imap 2.5.11 and I cannot yet upgrade to use Xapian, so it's still using squatter.
I have squatter running nightly in incremental mode: squatter -v -i -s -a -r "$mailbox"
I have to cycle all mailbox and squatter them one by one, so that in case of squatter crash the script goes on to the other ones.

What happens is that some of these mailboxes takes 10-20 minutes to index, even if running incrementally, while others takes 5-20 seconds.
I'm trying to figure out why these ones take so much and I've seen these are mailboxes with 15000-30000 messages, with some big fat messages inside (30-40Mb) and the whole mailbox folder may be 8-12GB.
So I looked into the code itself of squatter.c and I've seen that the code tries to run incrementally but in some cases it decides to fallback to full indexing.
Problem is that I don't see any debug output from squatter saying that something went wrong so it falls back.
I have syslog.conf with "local6.debug    /sonicle/var/log/imap/imapd.log" and I can see all the info logs of squatter there, but no debugs.

Is there anything I can do here?

Also, the man page of squatter is quite confusing, for example:

"Squatter creates an index of ALL messages in the mailbox, not just those since the last time that it was run (i.e., it does NOT do incremental updates)."

But then you have the option documented:

"-i     Incremental updates where squat indexes already exist."

Thanks for any help.
Gabriele

Sonicle S.r.l. http://www.sonicle.com
Music: http://www.gabrielebulfon.com