Re: Migration Options

On 2/2/2021 7:10 AM, Javier Angulo wrote:
On 2/2/21 10:01 AM, Marty Lee via Info wrote:
Hi,

we are looking at migrating our Cyrus mail store to a new system in
a different data centre - trying to keep any user outage as small as
possible. Cyrus 3.0.14 for now; we’ll look to upgrade that once the
move has taken place - unless there is a good reason to do it first.

My original plan was to create an identical VM, enable sync_client
and let Cyrus replicate the mailboxes to new machine. Once they are
all copied, we quiesce the old server (turn off imap/pop3/lmtp on
the firewall), do a final sync_client (just to be sure) and then
update everyone’s IMAP server in LDAP to point at new machine.

Option 2, is to tar up the IMAP store (db + spools) and copy them
to the new server - the tarball would be created when the server
was quiesced and cyrus shutdown.

The question, is whether sync_client is clever enough to be able
to pick up from the point when the tarball was created and then
continue with rolling replication?

We have always used rsync. No need to quiesce origin server for first copy, and you can make an idea of how long migration will take with next incremental rsyncs. Last incremental copy of course needs to be run with cyrus-imapd stopped on origin. I am always surprised of how optimized rsync is.

Ditto.