Migration Options

Hi,

we are looking at migrating our Cyrus mail store to a new system in
a different data centre - trying to keep any user outage as small as
possible. Cyrus 3.0.14 for now; we’ll look to upgrade that once the
move has taken place - unless there is a good reason to do it first.

My original plan was to create an identical VM, enable sync_client
and let Cyrus replicate the mailboxes to new machine. Once they are
all copied, we quiesce the old server (turn off imap/pop3/lmtp on
the firewall), do a final sync_client (just to be sure) and then
update everyone’s IMAP server in LDAP to point at new machine.

Option 2, is to tar up the IMAP store (db + spools) and copy them
to the new server - the tarball would be created when the server
was quiesced and cyrus shutdown.

The question, is whether sync_client is clever enough to be able
to pick up from the point when the tarball was created and then
continue with rolling replication?

Regards

Marty