Re: number of imapd processes never decrease

Am 17.09.2015 16:18, schrieb Vladislav Kurz:
On Thursday 17 of September 2015 you wrote:

I would consider how many users you have connected as well as each type of
device. If you are running some type of AS setup, each device will
maintain an open connection and cause a process to happen. How many users?
What do you mean by AS setup? Autonomous system? nothing like that.
Clients use thunderbird, outlook, mobile phones, webmail.

I think Paul mean AS = Active Sync.

I don't know the exact number of imap users, because some users still use pop3
(which has short-lived connections). Currently there are about 200 imapd
processes. (Plus another 60 "imapd -s").

I think every client is going to be turned off, rebooted, or out of battery
from time to time. So I feel like there are some processes "forgotten",
keeping the connection with nobody on the other end.

I think this too. Yesterday afternoon I changed the imapd.conf configoption "tcp_keepalive" from 0 to 1. The number of imapd processes dropped from 2800 ( yesterday 7:00am ) to arround 1000 ( today 7:00am ).

When I understand tcp keepalive correctly, the systems now checks from time to time ( every 2 hours by default on linux systems ) with an ACK package
if the tcp connection endpoint is still reachable.

I am neither an cyrus nor an tcp/ip expert, so a comment from an expert would be nice.

Regards,

Konrad

--
Hochschule Konstanz - Rechenzentrum