Re: High Availability

(taking it back to the list in case it's useful to others)

On Mon, Apr 20, 2015, at 05:45 PM, Lalot Dominique wrote:
Hello Bron

Unfortunately I would'nt be able to go to The Hague..

Oh well :)

Just as a simple question, the only drawback of not using is that you won't be able to share folders?

That's the only drawback we have.  You can only share folders with users on the same server.  For our family/business accounts, we just make sure all users are on the same backend.

We run hundreds of servers, and use nginx as a proxy in front of them so we can move users without them knowing or having to update settings.

Can we have several imap servers without using muder?

Sure.  We do a thing we call slots and stores, where we split each machines up into up to 40 separate instances of Cyrus with 1Tb of storage each, replicating to different machines.

I had only used a simple setup, one imap server with several spools

That works fine, but it wont' give you high availability.

Is there some more information somewhere?

Not much unfortunately.  We've written about our setup many times, most recently here:

http://blog.fastmail.com/2014/12/04/standalone-mail-servers/

and more detail here:

https://www.fastmail.com/help/technical/architecture.html

But they don't give you quite enough configuration detail to just plug and play.

Our plan with the Cyrus Foundation and developing Cyrus 3.0 is to have pre-configured Docker images which you can just run and add storage, and they will work in a cluster.  It's very ambitious, and we might not have it fully stable by July when we launch 3.0, but it's definitely the eventual goal.

What is your timeframe for setting up this new system?

Regards,

Bron.

--
Bron Gondwana