Re: frontend lmtp connections to mupdate master

Hi

Quoting "Fabio S. Schmidt" <fabio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Hi Michael,

- Sorry if I am annoying answering this thread to the list, but maybe
someone has better ideias.

We are using Cyrus 2.4.14 with dedicated Backends, Frontends and
Mupdate servers. We have deployed a Cyrus Frontend on each MTA servers
so when a message is delivered it will only query locally the
locations of the mailboxes. This way the "real" Frontend servers are
only loaded with the IMAP connections from the clients.

These are our configurations:

# cyrus.conf

imap cmd="proxyd -a" listen="localhost:imap" prefork=5 maxchild=100
lmtp            cmd="lmtpproxyd -C /etc/imapd-local-lmtpd.conf"
listen="lmtp" prefork=10 maxchild=500

#/etc/imapd-local-lmtpd.conf

mupdate_server: 127.0.0.1
304 mupdate_port: 3905
305 mupdate_authname: admin
306 mupdate_username: admin
307 mupdate_password: PASSWORD
308 mupdate_retry_delay: 10

# /etc/postfix/transport

ourdomain.com.br      lmtp:127.0.0.1:lmtp

thanks for the config. So you are tricking lmtp to querry the local
mupdate over tcp. This should work in our case, but I'm looking for
an other solution, because this would still add an overhead (tcp connection, ssl encryption), which is not needed IMHO.

By thew way, the reason I was so surprised in the first place was, that
I have been fooled by the documentation:
Quoting https://cyrusimap.org/docs/cyrus-imapd/2.4.17/install-murder.php

Configuring the frontends
[...]
However, because the frontends only talk to the mupdate master via a slave running on the local machine, you will also need to set up a slave on the same machine, in the SERVICES section of cyrus.conf, like so

So frontend imapd and pop3d will ask the frontend mailboxdb.
I'm not sure  about timsieved.
But IHMO there is no need that lmtpd/lmtpproxyd will ask the
mupdate_master only in in standard murder.

I will try to patch lmtpd to use the local mailboxdb and will send a
patch after i have tested it.

Regards

   Michael

M.Menge                                Tel.: (49) 7071/29-70316
Universität Tübingen                   Fax.: (49) 7071/29-5912
Zentrum für Datenverarbeitung mail: michael.menge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Wächterstraße 76
72074 Tübingen

----