Re: Best distro for Exim/Cyrus

On Thursday 20 of February 2014 05:50:21 Paul O'Rorke wrote:

> Hi again guys,

> thanks for the help thus far. I have managed to get cyrus talking with

> exim to deliver mail (the -a inside the quotes did this) and I have the

> cyrus_sasl driver authenticating using DIGEST-MD5:

> digest_md5_sasl_server:

> driver = cyrus_sasl

> public_name = DIGEST-MD5

> server_realm = chemainus.mjbrownloos.com

> server_set_id = $auth1

> .ifndef AUTH_SERVER_ALLOW_NOTLS_PASSWORDS

> server_advertise_condition = ${if eq{$tls_cipher}{}{}{*}}

> .endif

Hi,

the last three lines (ifnedef - endif) can be IMHO deleted, because DIGEST-MD5 (and CRAM-MD5 and NTLM) do not send plaintext passwords, so should be allowed even on otherwise unencrypted connection.

Check if user Debian-exim is member of sasl group - to get access to /etc/sasldb2.

> I can receive mail OK, exim passes it to cyrus and I can work with

> mailboxes in Thunderbird however I don't seem to be able to authenticate

> to the SMTP server when sending. Do I need to specify a separate auth

> for sending through SMTP?

Thunderbird has separate auth setting for SMTP, hovewer you should specify the same user/pass as for IMAP. Check also the option "auth method" and set encrypted password - which is luser translation of DIGEST/CRAM-MD5.

> If it can authenticate for IMAP using *digest_md5_sasl_server* why would

> it fail when sending?

Just because IMAP auth is done by cyrus and SMTP auth by exim ;) Check /var/log/exim/*log, there might be some hints...

--

S pozdravem

Vladislav Kurz

=== WebStep, s.r.o. (Ltd.) ========= a step to the Web ===

address: Mezirka 1, 602 00 Brno, CZ, tel: +420 548 214 711

=== www.webstep.net ======= vladislav.kurz@xxxxxxxxxxx ===

----
To Unsubscribe: