Re: high-availability Cyrus (i.e. glusterfs)?

Quoting Tomasz Chmielewski <mangoo@xxxxxxxx>:

On 28.09.2010 10:56, Michael Menge wrote:

Cyrus depends on locks and mmap, so your fs must support them.
I had written a summery of the diskussions about Cyrus and HA in the
old wiki. But the wiki was replaced by the new wiki. I will have a look
if I have a copy.

I would be grateful.

I didn't find the Wiki Text, but the thread that was the base of this
Wiki-Text

http://www.irbs.net/internet/info-cyrus/0611/0279.html

If you plan to run in active-passive mode, did you considre Cyrus
replication? You will need twice the disk space, but you remove a single
point of failure (glustefs)

Glusterfs is there to avoid SPOF - as the filesystem sits on two
servers. So assuming I won't do rm -rf /gluster-filesystem, it should be
quite safe. And it too needs twice the disk space, since it's replicated
with glusterfs on both servers.

So there is no differens in diskspace. If glustefs keeps two copies of
each file or if you have two Cyrus-Servers. But with Cyrus Replication
you don't have the problem with mmap and locking. It may help not to use
BDB for the databases. But i don't know how good skiplist is in 2.2.13.
Many skiplist bugs have been fixed in 2.3.x

However, I'm of course open to better alternatives.

I'm running Debian Lenny, which ships with Cyrus 2.2.13 - not sure if
Cyrus replication is possible there? I'd like to stick with distro
packages, but if a newer Cyrus version provides features which let you
do HA without too much hackarounds, I'll consider upgrading.

Replication was introduced in 2.3.x. There are other features in 2.3.x
I don't want to live with out (e.g. delayed expunge). There was a
diskussion on the lists about that Debian wants to upgrade cyrus.
The main problem is the upgrade path (update of BDB Databases).

M.Menge                                Tel.: (49) 7071/29-70316
UniversitÃt TÃbingen                   Fax.: (49) 7071/29-5912
Zentrum fÃr Datenverarbeitung mail: michael.menge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
WÃchterstraÃe 76
72074 TÃbingen

----