Re: Announcing cyrus-user-map, a local recipient map generator for Postfix

On Tue, 10 Mar 2009, Farzad FARID wrote:

Le 10.03.2009 09:59, Stefan Schmidt a écrit :
 Nice thing, but just out of curiosity, why don't you use postfix'
 recipient verification mechanism?
 In smtp_recipient_restrictions add reject_unverified_recipient at a
 reasonable position in these restrictions. Everything else
 automagically happens.

Thanks for asking. In the "Postfix Address Verification Howto" (http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_VERIFICATION_README.html) it says that:

"/A Postfix MTA verifies a sender or recipient address by probing the nearest MTA for that address, without actually delivering mail. The nearest MTA could be the Postfix MTA itself, or it could be a remote MTA (SMTP interruptus). Probe messages are like normal mail, except that they are never delivered, deferred or bounced; probe messages are always discarded./"

This is a very heavyweight process, especially if we have the Cyrus database at hand :) So I think that looking up an entry in a hash map is much faster and doesn't involve any SMTP/LMTP connection.

And if the Postfix relay and the Cyrus database are not on the same physical computer, and someone's interested, I can extend my little tool to use a network connection to fetch the user database.

Best regards

what about something like "Postfix version of smmapd" : http://www.mail-archive.com/info-cyrus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg31479.html ...

it is good solution, it has test for existention of mailbox and overquota ..

i have fidled with it, but have not working solution, because there is some problem with unixhierarchysep and altnamespace , i think ... :-((

its about 1.5 years ago as tryed it ...

|      You have moved the mouse.                              #
| Windows must be restarted for the changes to take effect.   #
|                      <OK>                                   #

Vladimir `KLEO' Klejch     	Kleo'at'netbox.cz

----
----