Re: extremely poor performance with many maiboxes for 'list "" *'

Zitat von "Greg A. Woods" <woods-cyrus@xxxxxxxxx>:

I manage a single-instance server running v2.2.12 with a reasonably
large number of mailboxes, using "mboxlist_db: flat":

# wc -l /var/imap/mailboxes.db
  40190 /var/imap/mailboxes.db

On the hardware it runs on a grep through the mailboxes file using a
non-trivial RE to match the user and ACL (in a manner I suspect is
similar to 'list "" *') will complete in less than a second of CPU time.

However imapd takes well over two minutes of CPU time to do the same
thing -- an unbelievable, impossibly, long time for what should be a
very trivial operation on so few records, relatively speaking.  I would
have expected that hardware to be able to process several tens of
millions of records in two minutes of CPU time.  I.e. whatever is being
done is being done with three or four orders of magnitude too many
instructions per record!  This is a "flat" DB, but still!

Unfortunately some clients, despite the advice of RFC 2683 Section
3.2.1.1, e.g. pine, frequently do things like this (or seem to),
sometimes putting extraordinarily excessive load on the system when
several do so at the same time (it's only a 4-CPU system :-)).

Not sure how the problem arises but maybe you want to use the imapd.conf option foolstupidclients which changes the command from "list *" to "list INBOX*" on the fly to get around your performance problem.

Regards

Andreas

----