Re: Fatal error: failed to mmap cache file

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007, Ian P. Christian wrote:

I have a mailbox on my server wither just under 6600 emails in it.

The cyrus.cache file is 1/2 a gig in size:

# ls -lah cyrus.*
-rw------- 1 cyrus mail 536M Mar 27 13:46 cyrus.cache
-rw------- 1 cyrus mail  171 Mar 27 13:12 cyrus.header
-rw------- 1 cyrus mail 386K Mar 27 13:46 cyrus.index

When a user attempts to access their mailbox, I see this in the logs:

imaplo[29053]: login: localhost [127.0.0.1] postmaster@xxxxxxxxxx plaintext User logged in imaplo[29053]: IOERROR: mapping cache file for domain.com!user.postmaster: Cannot allocate memory
imaplo[29053]: Fatal error: failed to mmap cache file
master[29953]: process 29053 exited, status 75
master[29953]: service imaplo pid 29053 in BUSY state: terminated abnormally

Can anyone suggest what might be causing this?

Well clearly there isn't enough memory available to mmap a file that large... :)

I'm more curious why that cyrus.cache file is so large. 6600 emails is not an unusually large amount to have in a mailbox. For example, I have a mailbox with 1739 messages in it, and the cyrus.cache file is only 1.6 MB. Maybe the cyrus.cache file is corrupted or retaining old cache entries? It should be safe to delete that file and reconstruct the mailbox, because no additional information is stored in the cache file which is not already present in the message files.

	Andy
----