Re: DBERROR: skiplist recovery mailboxes.db 0090 - suddenly all is failing!

On Mon, 5 Mar 2007, Gregor Wenkelewsky wrote:

I don't really know about that. Here is from the log during another
"controlled shutdown and reboot", of course I had to make sure that my
mailboxes.db error would not occur on every reboot. (It did not occur
again.) These are the last lines, no sign of a kill -9 signal:

Feb 28 15:20:05 Server cyrus/master[3869]: exiting on SIGTERM/SIGINT
Feb 28 15:20:13 Server postfix/master[4103]: terminating on signal 15
Feb 28 15:20:15 Server exiting on signal 15

That is what I get when I shutdown Cyrus.

When the error happened, a squatter run was completed about half an
hour before, and ctl_cyrusdb "checkpointing cyrus databases" exactly
4 mins 27 secs before. And then, the last lines were:

Feb 15 08:10:27 Server cyrus/master[3795]: exiting on SIGTERM/SIGINT
Feb 15 08:10:35 Server postfix/master[4104]: terminating on signal 15

"Server exiting" is missing!?!??!

I guess Cyrus couldn't exit cleanly?  I haven't seen that here.

How do you recognize a corruption? I think it would be useful to have
and automated e-mail been sent as soon as some error occurs, so that
I can get to the system and fix it.

Our users will tell us that they cannot open their mailbox when their seen file is corrupted. If I remember correctly, we see those skiplist errors in the logs too.

Last time Cyrus just started to repeat trying and failing to open the
db endlessly, thereby writing tons of messages to the log files until
stopped. Hence the malfunction would not be obvious if no one wants to
use e-mail during a few days (that is likely here) and no one checks
the server (likely too).
And hence that, I guess I should set up not just hourly, but daily and
weekly dumps of mailboxes.db, because the last unsoiled hourly backup
would be overwritten with an faulty backup after just one hour.
Am I right?

I don't think the dump would be successful if mailboxes.db was corrupted, but honestly I don't know. You are probably correct that adding some robustness to the dump process is a good idea.

	Andy
----