Re: DBERROR: skiplist recovery mailboxes.db 0090 - suddenly all is failing!

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007, Gregor Wenkelewsky wrote:

Hi there,

Cyrus has been installed here just a few weeks ago, and after some hard days it was working smoothly and very well. Until suddenly, sadly today it started to fail completely with this error message in mail.warn, mail.error and syslog:

cyrus/imap[..]: DBERROR: skiplist recovery /var/lib/cyrus/mailboxes.db: 0090 should be ADD or DELETE
cyrus/imap[..]: DBERROR: opening /var/lib/cyrus/mailboxes.db: cyrusdb error

There was a post by Florin Andrei on March 12 2004 in which he described a similar problem and a solution, but his setting is much different to mine and I can't just follow to that. My setup is: cyrus-imapd2.2.13, postfix, Xubuntu 6.10 and I have not one, but currently 20 users and plans are for about 500.

As I found out from the logs, first time the error occured this morning was after I was rebooting the system once. The log showed no failures during the night, i.e. multiple squatter runs with no errors. ((BTW, for a low-end server PC with up to 500 accounts and no intention to store huge messages or files - the mail system is for use with SquirrelMail in a grammar school - to what setting should I set squatter, if at all?))

I guess the error was created when shutting down and restarting, so I show here the entries before and after that.

You'll need to fix the corruption of the mailboxes.db file. It is a skiplist format file in your case, so do a google search for "skiplist.py". You'll find a python utility that can do some better recovery than the cyrus tools. The example is for cyrus seen-state files, but the same should work on the mailboxes.db as well.

You should also setup a cronjob to dump the mailboxes.db file to plaintext periodically (so it can be backed up). Something like this works here:

58 * * * * cyrus /usr/local/cyrus/bin/ctl_mboxlist -d > /var/spool/cyrus/config/mailboxes.db.dump

Hope this helps!

	Andy
----