Re: how to backup a cyrus server?

On Dec 4, 2006, at 6:42 PM, Andrew Morgan wrote:

On Mon, 4 Dec 2006, Rafael Mahecha wrote:

[...]
I used to use tivoli to backup the old server (which was ok since no data bases were involved)... but since cyrus has databases and such, I am concern about file-locking and database corruption.

What is the best way to back up the server? shutdown cyrus for a while, then snap shot it, and then back up to tivoli.... or should I just be able to back up the running server directly to tivoli?

what other software can I use to backup?

Check out the Cyrus Wiki page at:

  http://cyrusimap.web.cmu.edu/twiki/bin/view/Cyrus/Backup

Most people just make a regular backup of the filesystem using whatever tools they normally use. The only "trick" is to export your mailboxes.db to a flat text file in order to back it up (which you should be doing periodically anyways).
[...]

We're using TSM for backups. The Wiki notes using LVM snapshots so we ended up doing that. We have a pre-backup script that does the ctl_mboxlist -d for a text mailboxes file, ctl_cyrusdb -c to checkpoint, a sync, and then a lvcreate --snapshot --size 10G --name lv_cyrus_snapshot /dev/vg_cyrus/lv_cyrus. We then mount the snapshot and back it up normally with TSM. Haven't had a lot of restore experience but testing worked out OK.

----