Re: timeouts when connecting to imap server

Timo Veith wrote:
Am Donnerstag 30 November 2006 15:35 schrieb Jorey Bump:
Just a thought, but can you try switching to a 2.4.x kernel? The 2.6
series seems to suffer from gremlins like this once in a while.

I am pretty sure that the master daemon is now running with a 350000 file desciptor limit. At least this is written to the log file.

Sorry, I meant networking gremlins in general, not the descriptor problem. I run Slackware, and the default kernel is still 2.4.x. Once in a while I set up a server with a 2.6.x kernel, but it never makes it out of the punishment closet. YMMV.

I started the master daemon with -D and export CYRUS_VERBOSE=1, but I saw no log messages that helped me. At least they don't sound critical to me. Is there anything I should be looking for?

The only thing I saw when troubleshooting my own problem was it always seemed to affect users that had just received a message. I couldn't verify that this was anything other than a coincidence (IOW, it was nonreproducable).

Oh and I tried it with the idle service disabled in cyrus.conf but it didn't make a difference. Isn't it enough to disable it there? Must I recompile it without the idled option? But I really would like to stay with idled enabled.

I still have idled running, it's just causing problems when the client (mainly Thunderbird) attempts to use it. Other clients worked fine with IDLE enabled.

Could it be that the compile time optimazations are to be blamed? This is what I have used for gcc (3.3.6):
CFLAGS="-march=nocona -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -mmmx -msse -msse2 -mfpmath=sse"

I can only show you how I compile mine on Slackware:

./configure --prefix=/usr                \
    --with-bdb-libdir=/usr/lib           \
    --with-bdb-incdir=/usr/include/db4   \
    --enable-idled
 make depend
 make all CFLAGS=-O

BTW, SquirrelMail works extremely well on my own server after switching to Cyrus IMAP. I don't think you're experiencing a client issue. You may need to perform a packet capture and analyse the conversation between server and client. This can be frustrating work when the error is transient, though.

----