Re: Webmail

Zachariah Mully wrote:

I would stay far far away from kolab for anything more than one or two
person use. Especially if you plan on using it with Outlook as the
Outlook connector stores the Kolab data in a binary format, making it
unsearchable on the server side, hence retardedly slow as you need to
suck down an entire folder (the complete message, not just the headers),

You're talking about the Toltec Connector, correct?

There is an alternative called KONSEC connector that stores non-mail items as a binary mail with a special header in a separate folder IIRC.

openxchange looks to be a more viable alternative, especially if you
have to support webclient users.

Last time I checked it wouldn't provide some features but that was ages ago - don't intend to start a groupware server discussion here either. :-)

For just webmail though, Horde is great, especially if you install the
sieve rule manager and the password tool, then people can manage their
own vacation/ooo rules, as well as update their passwords.

AFAIK horde's CVS branch offers integration into Kolab (or the other way around, there was sth. on the kolab site)

regards

Martin
----