Re: reconstruct

Daniel Eckl wrote:

Hmmm yes, I want to second that. I have often restored accidentally
deleted mail folders from tape, copied them back into the mailbox
structure and reconstructed the folder. I never had any issue with that...

Does anybody really know any drawback of reconstructing without downtime?

That's a good question. O'Reilly's "Managing IMAP" gives instructions to shut down Cyrus before running reconstruct, but doesn't explain why. That book is pretty old, however. There's nothing in the reconstruct man page about it, either.

Maybe the reconstruct command doesn't protect against the delivery of new mail while it's running, possibly resulting in more corruption? Also, will reconstruct interfere with idled in any way?
----