Re: reconstruct

Sarah Walters wrote:
Benjamin,

I need to reconstruct everyone mailbox. But should I need to take the mail server down?
or just have people close email and still allow incoming messages?

Just queue the mail on your MTA (sendmail, postfix, exim, qmail,
esoteric-server-of-your-choice). If they're not accessing the mail, it
doesn't need to be delivered to their mailboxes anyway. So in short,
yes, take it down. But leave your MTA up to accept mail. If you're using
the patches to Cyrus to do recipient checking this will probably break
though, so you might need to temporarily disable those checks and just
accept all mail addressed to your domain whether the account exists or
not.

IMHO, this is worse than shutting down the MTA temporarily, which allows mail to be queued on the sender's MTA. If the process runs within a reasonable amount of time, you restart Cyrus, the MTA, collect/reject mail as remote MTAs retry, and prevent becoming a backscatter source.

----