Re: sync_client stalls the rest of cyrus while 'no route to host'

On 28 Aug 2006, at 20:33, Bron Gondwana wrote:
What else do you have that will kill it?

	4) xfer onto a replicating backend causes sync_client to exit
	8) renaming users causes sync_client to exit

In both of these, size and other load matters.

We agree on the design-flaws front, and
I'm seriously consider (as I said in another post) rewriting to
be a bit more like mysql in the "multiple replicas possible"
design and keeping the sync logs around for double-checking
purposes.

The pushmail code look interesting.  I think this:

	5) xfer off a replicating backend doesn't remove data from the replica

is a bug, not a design flaw so much. I think the xfer code is just missing a sync_log call. Probably a trivial fix, but I'm working on #s 4&8 above.

No transferring expunged messages matters only from a backup
recovery point of view, and we already keep yet another backup[tm]

I'd like to eliminate the cost of our YAB[tm], but can't due to the way that expunged messages are treated:

	3) xfer doesn't transfer expunged messages
	6) removing folders doesn't benefit from delayed expunge
	9) the IMAP rename command doesn't keep expunged messages

Oh, and if real-time replication is running the "expunged" message
seems to get itself to the replica before actually getting deleted
most of the time.

And that would be almost good enough if the other flaws in delayed expunge weren't there.

:wes
----