Re: Multiple username/passwords pointing to the same mailbox .. possible?

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 09:39:11 +0200, "former03|Baltasar Cevc" <baltasar.cevc@xxxxxxxxxxx> said:
> Hi Malcom,
>
> > I am currently migrating a large number of IMAP/POP accounts from one
> > server to another.  The old server using a schema of CLIENTID-0,
> > CLIENTID-1 etc as the naming schema, and it is required that the new
> > server use the user@domain naming schema.
>
> You cold manage authorization using some database mechanism, where you
> could have multiple users; however you would have to separate
> authentication and autorization then. There would be one main problem for
> which I don't known any solution now: you can't grant access to users in
> different realm; and your old users are in the servername realm, your new
> ones in their own domain's.
>
> Another possibility: perhaps Perdition or some other IMAP proxy can help?
> don't use it yet, but it has some nice options, e.g. it can present
> accounts on different servers on one frontend. So perhaps it has some
> features that can help you.

That's what I would suggest, use Perdition or Nginx (we moved to nginx because
even with Linux 2.6 we hit limits around 20,000 concurrent connections, while
nginx handles that without breaking a sweat)

Our "saslperld" authentication daemon (which now talks about 6 different
protocols, but anyway) could certainly handle this very easily.  It already
rewrites the username to connect to the backend so we can gracefully handle
switching to username@domain logins for machines as we domain split them.

Bron.
--
  Bron Gondwana