Re: Latin1/UTF8 chars?

Just change /etc/imapd.conf and add following line:

munge8bit: no

So you see your subjects with "Umlaut"s again!

We had the same problem, migrating UW4 to Cyrus. The  theory is that there is  a RFC which does nit allow 8-bit-characters in mail headers. They should be encoded. Most mail clients encode 8-bit-characters correctly, but there are a lot of mailers which do not! But just add this directive before migrating.

Regards Walter

On 6/26/06, Marten Lehmann <lehmann@xxxxxx> wrote:
Hello,

> Driven by the setting of "reject8bit" in /etc/imapd.conf in both
> Cyrus 2.2.* and 2.3.*.  The default is to change 8-bit characters
> to "X".  Set "reject8bit" to have lmtpd reject messages with 8-bit
> characters in the headers.

if I can disable rejecting, can I also disable changing characters to X?

The point is, that when we are migrating from dovecot to cyrus very
soon, I don't want to see strange sideeffects after the migration and
users yelling at me because sometime changed in the IMAP behaviour.

And there are senders that send invalid characters in the subject but
you cannot force them to send valid encoded subjects (several registries
for internet domain names).

Regards
Marten
----