Re: Cyrus Patches used at FastMail.FM

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
On Fri, 26 May 2006, Ken Murchison wrote:
Comments on the non-local ones:
- cyrus-8bit-2.3.3.diff

As I said in my reply to the CVS commit (which I noticed before this mail),
I am quite surprised by this patch being accepted.

Was it not the position held by CMU in the last five years or so that one
such patch would *have* do to it properly and re-encode the header to some
default charset, in order not to corrupt the store with lack of charset
information (for searches) ?

I decided that I don't care to fight the fight any longer. If people want to continue to write/use crappy email clients that don't follow specs, that's fine by me. If admins want to let non-compliant email messages into there store, they are now free to do so by disabling munge8bit.

Let it be known that I (CMU) am not endorsing crappy/misconfigured clients and/or non-compliant messages, nor am I endorsing disabling munge8bit.

I will add text to imapd.conf(5) that states that disabling munge8bit will most likely break SEARCH.

Henrique, do you recall if SEARCH dies, or just doesn't get any useful hits on non-tagged 8-bit headers?

--
Kenneth Murchison
Systems Programmer