Re: does xfer require murder?

I set up imapd.conf how I think it should be and restarted cyrus (even rebooted hosts). I log into the source server cyradm: sudo cyradm --user cyrus --server server1.sub1.domain.amazon.com --auth plain

Run the xfer
server1.sub1.domain.com> xfer user.vbperry server2.sub2.domain.com

And get:
xfermailbox: Server(s) unavailable to complete operation

This is in log on source:
Apr 14 15:08:15 server1 imap[3434]: couldn't authenticate to backend server: generic failure Apr 14 15:08:15 server1 imap[3434]: Could not move mailbox: user.vbperry, Initial backend connect failed

This is on destination server:
Apr 14 15:08:15 server2 imap[3022]: accepted connection
Apr 14 15:08:15 server2 master[3125]: about to exec /opt/mail/cyrus-imapd/bin/imapd
Apr 14 15:08:15 server2 imap[3125]: executed

This is what the imapd.conf looks like on both servers.
defaultpartition: imap1
configdirectory: /var/imap
partition-imap1: /var/spool/imap1
admins: cyrus support
srvtab: /var/imap/srvtab
quotawarn: 85
popminpoll: 0
autocreatequota: 30000
sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd
lmtp_over_quota_perm_failure: 1
allowusermoves: yes
proxy_authname: cyrus
proxy_password: password

The systems are in different subdomains sub1.domain.com and sub2.domain.com and when I tried to do the hostname_password option it did not like dot's in the name so I did short names and added the sub#.domain.com to the resolv.conf so each host could ping by short name. I still got the error from above so I changed the imapd.conf entry servername_password to proxy_password since the cyrus account has the same password on both servers and still got the error above.

Any ideas what I am missing?

Thank you
Perry

Perry Brown wrote:
Thank you for the reply. Some follow up questions. (sorry to be so dense I'm making this change on production servers so wanted to make sure I've got it right).

SASL is running as: /usr/sbin/saslauthd -m /var/run/saslauthd -a pam

Our pam.d configs for both imap and pop look like
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
account    required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth

Looking at the install-murder doc I should set up all the boxes like they where frontends? (I pasted in what I think will only apply to my set up from install-murder).

Additional backend configuration
If your authentication system requires usernames, passwords, etc, to authenticate (e.g. it isn't Kerberos), then you will also need to specify proxy_authname (and friends) in the backend imapd.confs as well. This is so that the backends can authenticate to eachother to facilitate maibox moves. (Backend machines will need to be full admins).

In short I just need to set up a common user account in the OS on each box and define the user as proxy_authname: and put the password for that account listed as host1_password: and host2_password etc....

Correct.

Do I need to add this proxy_authname to imapd.conf admins: as well for the full admins requirement?

Yes.

Perry Brown wrote:
Hi All,

We are running cyrus-imap 2.2.8 and sasl 2.1.15. We have two RHEL 3 servers with about 4800 users split between them.

I am looking to migrate the users to 2 new RHEL3 hosts with the same cyrus-imap and sasl versions. I added the allowusermoves to imapd.conf restarted cyrus and tried to do a test move.

host1.domain.com> xfer user/ host2.domain.com
xfermailbox: Mailbox does not exist

Both cyrus-imap and cyrus-sasl where compiled with --enable-murder (least that is what my notes say is there a way to verify?), but it looks like murder has not been set up with a master or imapd.conf file changes.

Question, Is it possible to xfer a mailbox without configuring murder?

Yes and no.  You don't need mupdate, but the backends need to know how
to authenticate to each other.  Look at install-murder.html and take a
look at the stuff regarding authentication.  Also note that you can't
XFER the entire user/ hierarchy with one command, you have to do it one
user at a time.  Assuming that you're using unixhierachysep, you would do:

xfer user/vbperry host2

----

Kenneth Murchison
Systems Programmer