Re: IETF 107 Virtual Meeting Survey Report

On 4/20/20 5:10 PM, Warren Kumari wrote:

If people won't read the document or even the abstract ahead of time,
why do you think that they will sit and watch a video / read the
slides?

Slides are easy to read, usually can be consumed in a few minutes, and are generally a good way of knowing whether it's worth the trouble to read the draft, comment on the draft, or for that matter, to attend the WG meeting.

(Some abstracts are so, uhh, abstract, that you can't really tell what they're talking about.)

I'm not asking for videos.   Not only is a good video a LOT of work to produce (especially for people who don't do it all the time), it's at least as inefficient use of people's time as face to face presentations are.

  Yes, in an ideal world people would post their -00, and within
a day or two get twenty seven eight-by-ten colour glossy pictures with
circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining
what's wrong, and replacement text -- but, sadly, that's not the world
we live in.
Nor have we just had Thanksgiving dinners that couldn't be beat.
Presentations make people understand **why** they dislike a draft
enough that they should spend the time working to make it less
objectionable...

Right, but if we can get most of the benefit by reading the slides, then why shouldn't we do that?

Keith