Re: NomCom eligibility & IETF 107

Lars Eggert <lars@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    > On 2020-3-26, at 19:54, Salz, Rich <rsalz=40akamai.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    >> I want to get the largest pool of candidates.

    > so that's a worthwhile goal.

    > But: My guess is that any fine-tuning here would not make a huge
    > difference to the size of the pool of people eligible to be considered
    > as voting members.

It won't matter much for 2020/2021.  It will have a knock-on effect for 2021/2022,
particularly if IETF108 is also virtual, and it will establish a precedent.

    > The pool that we actually want to maximize is the sub-pool of eligible
    > people *who volunteer to be considered*. If we can convince more
    > eligible people to actually volunteer it would have a much more sizable
    > impact (again, a guess.)

I agree, that would also help more.

(Note that the bunch of people who are most familiar with the IETF often do
 *not* volunteer, because they think they might be running.
 If we could  invert the deadlines, somehow, that might also work more)

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-