Re: @EXT: RE: United Nations report on Internet standards

On 3/27/20 5:47 PM, Marcolla, Sara Veronica wrote:

The issue is, when government representative participate to IETF (or a RIR, or ICANN, or a NOG), they do so in their official capacity, thus representing to some extent their organisation. They (we) do understand the concept, however it is impossible to attend without this sort of "official" hat. So on one hand there is Joe-as-himself, and on the other hand there in Alice-as-a-whole-government-rep. How do we make this work better for everyone's benefit in IETF?

In all cases the burden is on the contributor to build rough consensus for their proposal and they do so not by wielding power but by making a sound case that their proposal benefits the Internet as a whole.   Perhaps some people cannot help "wearing a hat".   But the hat isn't going to have much persuasive power and may be a liability.

Keith