Re: United Nations report on Internet standards

On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 05:14:20PM +0100,
 Vittorio Bertola <vittorio.bertola=40open-xchange.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote
 a message of 70 lines which said:

> it is hard to participate even for engineers, unless they spend
> several years in a learning curve.

>From my personal experience, it is the same for politics. Did you try
to follow closely a law during its journey through the Parliament? It
is almost impossible for the ordinary citizen. You have to learn, it
is true for every human activity.

> So in other circles there is the desire that the engineers, once
> having worked out their ideas, reach out to the rest of the Internet
> community, explain things in layman's terms,

On the principle, we agree. But a lot of IETF participants already do
it. We write books <https://cyberstructure.fr/>, we write blog
articles on RFCs <https://www.bortzmeyer.org/rfcs.html>, we talk with
governements and civil societies (my last audition was about
ActivityPub). It is not perfect? I know. But how do improve it?
Explaining things "in layman's terms" is AS HARD AS WRITING THE RFC
and the people who are good at one task may not be perfect for the
other. Just asking for it ("something should be done") is not
sufficient.

> ask for comments and adjust the plans,

I let you imagine the difficulty of channeling such information, most
of it unstructured and not technically realistic.

> to make sure that the result is fine with everyone,

Having everyone to agree is of course unrealistic. How will you
reconcile people who want to censor Sci-Hub through a lying DNS
resolver, and people who would like free access to scientific
knowledge (specially during a pandemic)?