Re: IETF in July

From CNBC earlier today:

Spain official warns 80% of people in Madrid will get coronavirus, as nationwide death toll surpasses 1,000

Yes, we should start planning now

On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 5:31 PM Phillip Hallam-Baker <phill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 4:46 PM Jared Mauch <jared@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Ron,

Might I suggest we get through the next week first? :-)

I’ll wait to see the hotel announcement like everyone else, which I presume won’t be sent until travel normalizes, since many international borders are closed.

I strongly suggest that for purposes of planning WG work, everyone assume there won't be an in person IETF for the rest of the year unless we hear otherwise.

It is highly unlikely that travel bans will be lifted in a sufficient number of countries to make any IETF viable in July and Madrid is reportedly a hot spot. If the secretariat announces registrations are open then we can rethink. Spain just reported 104 deaths in 24 hours. The chance that Madrid is going to be in a state to receive visitors in 17 weeks is really small.

So don't blow off the virtual meetings assuming there will be a 'proper' IETF in July. Not unless you are ok with work being delayed for up to a year.