Re: IETF 107 Vancouver In-Person Meeting Cancelled

Jordi,

> On 10. Mar 2020, at 21:38, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ <jordi.palet=40consulintel.es@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> According to lawyers, at least in the case of Spanish law, from what I got about 10 minutes ago, if an event organizer cancels a meeting, it is responsible and liable for any cancellation's costs to participants, unless there is a "force major cause" (which clearly is not the case, until it is declared by the corresponding government).

In this case travel, accommodation, and the meeting fee are motivationally connected (for you), but legally independent contracts. According to German law, due to cancellation the event organizer would have to refund the meeting fee. The two other contracts would legally not be impacted by this.

Things are different if you had a package deal in form of a single contract. This makes things a bit more complicated for the official IETF hotels (only for the official room block!), but here (most of the time) cancellation policy with the hotel does cover this already.

Michael