Re: IETF 107 Vancouver In-Person Meeting Cancelled

Hi Tim

I tweeted this study on mutuations last week. (2 March)

https://bedford.io/blog/ncov-cryptic-transmission/

best C

On 11/03/2020 12:02, Tim Chown wrote:
On 11 Mar 2020, at 10:52, tom petch <daedulus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I see different statistics.  Yes, Italy has a higher death rate than anywhere else, but elsewhere, the overall rate is reported as 1-2% with less for the young and 8% for the older, variously reported as over-65, over-70, or over-80.  I believe that Greece and Spain are still on an upward curve with figures perhaps too small to infer a trend but that in a week or so we will have the figures to see if Italy is the exception or the rule.
And therein is the problem, it will mutate.  That’s what made the so-called Spanish flu so deadly, to people of all ages.  Has it mutated, or are the counts of infected lower for some reason?  Hard to know, but I’ll take a little inconvenience now to avoid 100M deaths in the year ahead.

Tim