Re: Side meetings in a virtual IETF meeting ?

On Thu, Mar 5, 2020 at 6:09 PM Wes Hardaker <wjhns1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Toerless Eckert <tte@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> [longer virtual room description removed]
> > IMHO it would be mandatory to have such an option.
>
> FYI, in the past when participating in a 1000+ person photography group
> I held multiple 3-day-weekend hangouts, where we kept a live video chat
> open and people came and went over the three days.  It worked amazingly
> well; a lot of people met new friends, had great technical and personal
> discussions, and occasionally paper notes were posted in front of
> cameras saying "I'm the last one here during the night, but am leaving
> the camera on to ensure this stays up until tomorrow".
>
> At the time, using the tool I selected, there was a 10 person limit to
> the chat (common), and some people hated that because they couldn't get
> in.  My solution to this was multiple rooms, where if you failed to get
> into one you just overflowed to the next.
>
> In the end: I support this and believe it could certainly work for a
> virtual IETF both for morning and cookie-break periods and potentially
> even evening breaks as well.

I'd like to point out that we already have:
hallway@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
For real-time chatting during meetings that doesn't relate to any
specific area or working group, participants are encouraged to use the
"hallway" multi-user chat room on the IETF's XMPP sever.

To join, point your XMPP (Jabber) client at "hallway@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx".
Note that this chat room isn't related to Affiliate Groups, but the
intended social nature of that room is similar to the social nature of
the mailing lists listed below.

( from: https://www.ietf.org/about/groups/affiliate/ )

[

This section intentionally left blank for the inevitabile discussion
about the death of XMPP, and
how [ Slack|Discord|Line|Messenger|IRC|ICQ|Signal|Telegram|AOL
AIM|WhatsApp (select one, and only one)]
is clearly much better for this sort of thing.

]

> --
> Wes Hardaker
> USC/ISI