Re: Good job (end of message) Re: Update on IETF 107 Vancouver and COVID-19

Le 05/03/2020 à 00:31, Eric Vyncke (evyncke) a écrit :
[...]

The Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) continues to classify the
risk of infection in Canada as low [1] and the World Health
Organization (WHO) continues to recommend against travel restrictions
[2].

With all due respect.

With all admiration for the dedication of the job realizers.

That advice [2] is from when?  I think it is from Feb. 29th.

It said "WHO continues to advise against the application of travel or trade restrictions to countries experiencing COVID-19 outbreaks."

I think we must tell WHO to modify their advice.

I know the following: Israel bans arrivals from France and others, since yesterday. Also Romanians leaving their airports seem to must sign some paper before leaving.

Alex

We continue to monitor the situation and will respond quickly if the
public health advice changes.  While it is clear that the situation
is deteriorating, the public health advice from the WHO, which is
very consistent and evidence-based, is that local containment of
outbreaks is both feasible and demonstrated to work.  To hear more
about the evidence-based guidance being provided by the WHO we
recommend watching a WHO press briefing [4] or reading their daily
situation reports [5].

We are aware that more companies have imposed travel restrictions and
in some cases those are dependent on who else will be attending the
conference.  However, we will not be imposing travel restrictions on
IETF participants from specific countries or regions as it is for the
Canadian government to decide who can enter their country.

The current PHAC advisory page for visitors [6] is that those
arriving from Hubei province of China or from Iran should
self-isolate for 14 days on arrival and monitor their health.  That
advisory may be updated at any time and so we advise anyone
travelling from a country with an infection cluster to check that
page before travel.

We continue to receive new registrations every day but those are now
being offset by cancellations and the number of registered in-person
participants is hovering at around 625 [7] with over 200 registered
remote participants.  The Internet Engineering Steering Group (IESG)
and IETF Administration LLC continue to monitor the situation and the
IESG is currently seeking input from working group and research group
chairs to understand the extent of expected session cancellations.

If we are required to cancel then the IESG is considering options for
virtual meeting support, which it will report on in due course.

Please feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions or
comments.

[1]
https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection.html

[2] https://www.who.int/ith/2019-nCoV_advice_for_international_traffic-rev/en/