[Last-Call] draft-ietf-lamps-5480-ku-clarifications-01

Looking at draft-ietf-lamps-5480-ku-clarifications-01, these points
occur to me:

   1.  Introduction

   This document corrects this omission, by updating Section 3 of
   [RFC5480] to make it clear that neither keyEncipherment nor the
   dataEncipherment key usage bits are set for key agreement algorithms.

I think it would be more accurate to say something like "neither ... are
set in certificates that specify key agreement algorithms" -- usage bits
are logically a component of a certificate rather than a feature of an
algorithm.

But it's unclear to me whether id-ecPublicKey is only used in key
agreement certificates.  RFC 5480 states that if the cert uses id-ecDH
or id-ecMQV and provides keyUsage, then keyAgreement must be set.  So
it's clear that certs with id-ecDH or id-ecMQV are key agreement certs.
But RFC 5480 says that if the cert lists id-ecPublicKey, then
keyAgreement is optional.  That suggests to me that some certs can use
id-ecPublicKey without being key agreement certs.  In turn, section 1 of
this I-D suggests the I-D is not intended to apply to those certs, but
section 3 seems to apply to them anyway.

To try to distill it to one sentence:  Can id-ecPublicKey appear in
certs that are not for key agreement, and if so, are keyEncipherment and
dataEncipherment allowed in the keyUsage of those certs?

   3.  Updates to Section 3

   If the keyUsage extension is present in a certificate that indicates
   in SubjectPublicKeyInfo, then following values MUST NOT be present:
---^

Is "id-ecPublicKey" missing here?

   If the keyUsage extension is present in a certificate that indicates
   id-ecDH or id-ecMQV in SubjectPublicKeyInfo, then the following
   values also MUST NOT be present:

Is it a fact that all certificates with these three algorithms are
certificates for key agreement?  If so, it would be nice to state that
either in section 3 or section 1, to show how section 3 is connected
with "for key agreement algorithms" in section 1.  Otherwise, the
connection between the two requires information that is stated
elsewhere.

Dale