Re: pure-virtual asynchronous meetings?

On Thu, Feb 27, 2020 at 05:25:32PM +0000, Kent Watsen wrote:
> The premise of a few ongoing threads (and others over the years) is
> that there’s a need to preserve having synchronous communication
> amongst participants.  Stated rationale include the ability to close
> issues more quickly to just getting to know each other.

Mailing lists are our async communication mechanism.

Mailing lists (async comms) have a buffering problem: too much content
can pile up for participants to catch up with.

Physical meetings (sync comms) avoid that by slowing down the pipe by
forcing speakers to take turns.

Things that may help:

 - better IM, with baton passing for turn taking during scheduled
   meetings

    - IM is lower bandwidth than email, still asynchronous, but closer
      to synchronous, and with baton passing it would be synchronous

    - IM can have persistence like email

    - IM archives can be published and posted to the lists

    - given a BUI, IM can be almost as accessible as email

 - ???

If the timescale for a meeting is to be stretched as you suggest (e.g.,
to allow participants to attend within their timezones), then baton
passing may not be as workable.

Nico