Re: [Last-Call] last call review of draft-kuehlewind-system-ports-05

On 26/02/2020 22:09, Joseph Touch wrote:

On Feb 26, 2020, at 10:17 AM, tom petch <daedulus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

system ports are an important resource for the Internet that need precise management (although I recall forecasts in earlier work that our supply would last some time yet).

Some key points:

- the hurdle for receiving one was raised much higher by RFC6335
- even asking for one is recommended against by RFC7605

I think things are getting mixed up here. No, there is no need (urgent or otherwise) to somehow gather or reclaim system port numbers.

It MAY be useful for the IESG to be the assignee of *standards-track* ports (in either range), but there is NO justification for the IESG trying to be assigned non-standards-track ports.

Joe

Given that MAY often has the same force as MAY NOT, you seem to be saying that this I-D should not be approved. It argues that the IESG needs change control over system ports assigned prior to the procedures of RFC6335 although it might be more accurate to say that the I-D states that as a proposition rather than putting forward a coherent argument for it.

My comments take the position of the I-D as being well-founded and so say that the procedures are too lax for the stated objectives. And yes, since the I-D is about system ports and only system ports, then yes, I am assuming that system ports is still a meaningful concept; others may disagree.

I agree that there is no sign of a shortage so there is no need to reclaim at this time, just for the IESG (may be:-)to acquire change control.

The more I think about it, the messier it gets. Suppose the domain is still contactable but the local part is not; perhaps the assignee has left the organisation. Yes you can contact the domain and ask for details but this can open a can of worms. Every where I have worked I have had to sign a contract granting IPR (as we might now say) to the organisation of anything done in the course of my employment. So had I got an assignment, does it belong to the organisation and not me? And if what I did with the IETF was not part of my employment, as much IETF work used to be, does the organisation still have a claim? But if I used organisation resources to do the work (as I might use a photocopier to copy my tax return), does change the ownership?

As I say, messy.

Tom Petch

Joe