Re: [Last-Call] last call review of draft-kuehlewind-system-ports-05

On Feb 26, 2020, at 10:17 AM, tom petch <daedulus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

system ports are an important resource for the Internet that need precise management (although I recall forecasts in earlier work that our supply would last some time yet).

Some key points:

- the hurdle for receiving one was raised much higher by RFC6335
- even asking for one is recommended against by RFC7605

I think things are getting mixed up here. No, there is no need (urgent or otherwise) to somehow gather or reclaim system port numbers.

It MAY be useful for the IESG to be the assignee of *standards-track* ports (in either range), but there is NO justification for the IESG trying to be assigned non-standards-track ports.

Joe