Re: Changes to the way we manage RFPs

On 26/02/2020 05:22, Jay Daley wrote:
Brian

(sent from my

On 26/02/2020, at 4:56 PM, Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Jay,

I fully understand the arguments for this change. However, I think it would be good to continue to send a *summary* of the CFP messages to ietf-announce, for community awareness. Ditto for the "Award of contract" messages.

Those are two of the three types of RFP message sent to IETF-announce and coincidentally two of the three types planned for rfp-announce (the third one being “Here’s the Q&A for this RFP”).  In other words, I don’t want rfp-announce to grow on volume.

It would useful for me to understand why subscribing to rfp-announce is not an option?  In the context of the IETF’s high usage of mailing lists, this seems like a particularly low barrier to entry.

[tongue in cheek] Because it is impossible to subscribe to any IETF lists. I send a message to subscribe, or unsubscribe or ... and the mailer generates a response which I never get. My ESP - one of the larger in the world - has a policy of silently discarding what it regards as spam, the rules for which are company confidential. Empirically, I see that any short message, such as
'This is a test'
or
'Confirm'
is silently discarded whereas
'This has been padded with a load of semantic rubblis blss ball blaa to circumvent teh uneanted intrucion ao an errant ESP etc etc'
gets through.

Unless and until the IETF includes such information - how about a copy of Note Well? - in the confirmation message, then confirmation messages never arrive and so it is impossible to complete the three way handshake and to subscribe to any IETF mailing list. Of course, when I say ESP, it just could be another organisation such as Cloudflare, that is making this impossible. All I know is that the confirmation message never arrives.

Tom Petch

Jay