Re: [Last-Call] Last Call: <draft-ietf-ntp-using-nts-for-ntp-22.txt> (Network Time Security for the Network Time Protocol) to Proposed Standard

Marcus:

See below ...

> Thank you for reviewing the draft and providing comments! I've discussed
> the issues with the other authors. Please see our answers below.
>
> Kind regards,
> Marcus
>
> On 2020-02-17 14:22, Russ Housley wrote:
>> Section 3 says: "... NTS-KE server's private certificate."  Certificates
>> are public.  I assume that you are talking about a private key here.
>
> Indeed. This will be fixed.
>
>> Section 4.1.5 says: "...  denoting Numeric Identifiers from the IANA
>> AEAD registry [RFC5116]".  I think it would be more useful to provide a
>> pointer to the registry instead of the RFC that created the registry.
>
> This makes sense, although we are unsure about what the best practice
> is. Do you (or anyone else) know if there's IETF guidance on how to
> reference IANA registries?

RFC 8708 says this for a specific registry:

   [IANA-LMS] IANA, "Leighton-Micali Signatures (LMS)",
              <https://www.iana.org/assignments/leighton-micali-
              signatures/>.

>> Section 4.1.7 says: "...an IPv4 address in dotted decimal notation, an
>> IPv6 address, or ...". This is followed by a sentence on the format of
>> the IPv6 address and s sentence on IDNs.  I think a parallel structure
>> would be more clear.  Please list the choices, and then discuss the
>> format used for each of the choices.
>
> To fix this, we suggest changing the paragraph to:
>
> "The contents of the string SHALL be either an IPv4 address, an IPv6
> address, or a fully qualified domain name (FQDN). IPv4 address MUST be
> in dotted decimal notation. IPv6 addresses MUST conform to the "Text
> Representation of Addresses" as specified in [RFC4291] and MUST NOT
> include zone identifiers [RFC6874]. If internationalized labels are
> needed in the domain name, the A-LABEL syntax specified in [RFC5891]
> MUST be used."

I liked the text proposed for the last sentence by Patrik.  Otherwise, this looks fine to me.

>> Section 7.1: I believe the contact should be iesg@xxxxxxxx
>> <mailto:iesg@xxxxxxxx> (not chair@xxxxxxxx <mailto:chair@xxxxxxxx>).
>
> Section 8.1.1. of RFC 6335 says to use chair@xxxxxxxx.

I stand corrected.