Re: IETF 107 and Corona Virus?

> Il 13/02/2020 15:34 Alexandre Petrescu <alexandre.petrescu@xxxxxxxxx> ha scritto:
>

> I think it should be cancelled.
>
> It is not a good perspective to cancel something that is dear, but under
> exceptional circumstances there might be need of exceptional measures.

I understand why many participants are worried, I do not blame anyone for this.

However, I really appreciate the approach of being cautious on both sides of the decision, and relying on public health guidelines. This is a serious global health issue, but in its current status it is under control and very unlikely to affect anyone outside of certain areas of mainland China. If this changes, the WHO will let everyone know (see advice at https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019 ).

In the meantime, a snowball effect of cancellations in our industry, if not really required by the medical situation, would needlessly disrupt work, and moreover it would contribute to an unacceptable climate of fear and distrust against all Asian and Asian-looking people, which is already far too visible in many places.

So it is good that the issue was raised, it is important to monitor the situation, but I support the approach of the IETF leadership and also note that other big upcoming Internet conferences, like ICANN in Cancun, currently state on their website that they are not considering cancellation. And in the end, people can still individually decide to attend remotely, if they do not feel like travelling.

--

Vittorio Bertola | Head of Policy & Innovation, Open-Xchange
vittorio.bertola@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx