Re: [Last-Call] Last Call: <draft-halpern-gendispatch-consensusinformational-02.txt> (IETF Stream Documents Require IETF Rough Consensus) to Best Current Practice

Apologies for the pedanticism, but there are some frequently confused
items in here (and the terminology of
https://ietf.org/about/groups/iesg/statements/iesg-discuss-criteria/ has
since evolved).

On Fri, Jan 24, 2020 at 08:25:32PM -0800, Rob Sayre wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 24, 2020 at 7:31 PM Joel M. Halpern <jmh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Rob, this document deliberately addresses a very narrow issue that while
> > admittedly rare has come up a few times.
> >

> It would help if you could describe the documents your draft applies to:
>
> Document Classes Reviewed by the IESG
> 1) Protocol Actions
> 2) Document Actions (WG)
> 3) Document Actions (Individual)

This is "Individual submission to an AD" (i.e., IETF-stream AD-sponsored),
as distinct from "Independent submission to the ISE" (i.e., ISE-stream).

> 4) Document Actions (from RFC-Editor)

The current terminology used for these (e.g., at
https://datatracker.ietf.org/iesg/agenda/) is to talk of a "(RFC 5742)
conflict-review response" for the "IRTF and Independent Submission stream
documents" (i.e., item 3.4 on the linked IESG agenda).  The "Document
Actions (From RFC-Editor)" terminology used in the IESG statement on
discuss-criteria seems confusing at least to me, so I'm not sad to see it
go.

> I'm assuming the draft does not apply to #1, since those would not be
> Informational or Experimental. If the draft is not intended to apply to #4
> (even as an "end run"), that would be helpful to state.
>
> That leaves #2 or #3. If the draft is concerned about #3, I think it
> should state what the IESG is to do if the draft reappears as individual
> submission.

I assume you mean Independent Submission here (i.e., via ISE).

> If the document is about #2, that would be good to state as well.

In light of the above, it seems clear that this draft is proposing changes
to (2) and (3).

-Ben