Re: [arch-d] Draft IAB conflict of interest policy

On January 8, 2020 at 6:15:13 PM, IAB Chair wrote:

Hi!

> This policy covers the nomcom-selected Internet Architecture Board (IAB)
> members and ex-officio members (collectively, “Covered Individuals”). This
> policy has no impact on any other participants in IAB activities, for
> instance liaisons to and from the IAB or IAB program members.

I have two questions:

(1) Why are the liaison members of the IAB not included as Covered
Individuals?  rfc2850 treats both ex-officio and liaison members in
about the same way -- the only distinction that I could see is that
"an ex-officio position may be held by a full member" (§1.2).  Given
that all the other expectations for both are the same, I would like to
understand why the liaison members are not included in the policy if
they can participate in the IAB discussions.

(2) Liaison managers (to other organizations) represent the interests
of the IETF, should they be subject to a similar COI policy?  Maybe it
is not appropriate to include them in this specific policy, but I
didn't find anything in rfc4052 related to this point.

Thanks!

Alvaro.