Re: URNs and Last Call: <draft-nottingham-rfc7320bis-02.txt> (URI Design and Ownership) to Best Current Practice

On 1/7/20 12:48 PM, Barry Leiba wrote:

For the other part of the issue, I'm not fully in agreement with
Phillip and Michael, in that I do think there's a useful distinction
between a URI that names something without specifying how to locate
it... and one that is a locator.

I emphatically disagree.  URNs have defined properties that URIs in general do not.   The constant efforts by those politically opposed to URNs because of Not Invented Here syndrome, to degrade the utility of URNs, have been obvious for a long time now, and can only be understood as deliberate efforts to cause harm.

Keith