Re: [Last-Call] Opsdir last call review of draft-ietf-intarea-provisioning-domains-09

Hi Tim,

Happy New Year! Thanks very much for your thorough review.

We've just posted a -10 version (https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-intarea-provisioning-domains-10) that addresses your comments.

> On Dec 26, 2019, at 2:26 AM, Tim Chown via Datatracker <noreply@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Reviewer: Tim Chown
> Review result: Has Nits
>
> Hi,
>
> I have reviewed this document as part of the Operational directorate's ongoing
> effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the IESG.  These
> comments were written with the intent of improving the operational aspects of
> the IETF drafts. Comments that are not addressed in last call may be included
> in AD reviews during the IESG review.  Document editors and WG chairs should
> treat these comments just like any other last call comments.
>
> This draft describes the use of Provisioning Domains (PvDs), which form
> consistent sets of network related information, allowing hosts to better manage
> multiple simultaneous connections.  The draft includes the definition of a
> Router Advertisement option to convert PvD information to “PvD aware” hosts.
> Hosts not supporting PvDs continue to function as before.
>
> I have been following the PvD work since its early roots in the Multiple
> Interfaces (MIF) WG.  I believe PvDs have the potential to be of great value
> for hosts in multiple interface (physical or virtual) scenarios, and that this
> is important work.
>
> The document is very well-written and easy to follow, aided admirably by the
> use of PvD examples.
>
> Overall, the draft is in good shape, and I would consider it to be Ready with
> Nits.
>
> General comments:
>
> Sec 3.2
> Should we say anything here in para 4 about what happens when a router’s
> link-local interface address changes for some reason?

Added the following sentence:

If a link-local address on the router is
changed, then any new RA will be interpreted as a different Implicit
   PvD by PvD-aware hosts.

> Also, talking about MTU on p.9, I think multiple RAs MUST be sent, not “can be
> sent”, as per RFC6980.

That's a good point. We now also reference RFC6980.

> Sec 3.4.2
> In the penultimate paragraph, while this behaviour seems appropriate, I can see
> troubleshooting it as being tricky for many administrators.  It’s probably
> beyond the scope of this document, but that topic is something to think about,
> and also how PVDs are presented in general through operating system network
> configuration commands.

Indeed, this is something that does require careful configuration for more complex
deployments. I agree, however, that such further details are out of scope for this document.

> Sec 3.4.4
> Second para - but just how would an application make that selection?  What form
> does the API take?  Need a reference to that work, maybe Sec 6 of RFC 7556?
> (Not just 5.2.1 of that doc)

Added a reference to section 6 as well. A good suggestion!

> Nits:
>
> Sec 3.1
>
> p.5
> “called PvD option” -> “called the PvD option”
>
> p.7
> “Domain names” -> “Domain name”
> “Here is” -> “Figure 2 shows”
>
> p.8
> To be consistent with section 3.4, I’d change RFC6106 in the figure to RFC8106.
>
> Sec 3.2
>
> p.8
> “hosts per” -> “hosts as per”
> “PvDs are” -> “PvD is”