Re: IETF Policy on dogfood consumption or avoidance - SMTP version

On Thu 19/Dec/2019 09:16:23 +0100 Eliot Lear wrote:
> If you can’t manage to get a PTR into the DNS, there are a great many options
> that include, but are not limited to using a free or pay-for mail service.  You
> can still build your own, but you may have to use a data center that agrees to
> update the PTR record for you (this is what I have done).  A mechanism even
> exists to accomplish this with EC2 at very nominal prices (~USD $10/month)

That's hardly acceptable.  For one point, being forced to virtualize the mail
server, to locate it in a remote data center, or to outsource its service
tout-court is not the kind of solution to be encouraged.  It exacerbates the
trend toward few giant email operators.

I respect IETF's decision to outsource the management of its mailing lists.  On
the other hand, the standard should respect the will to keep mail servers in
house, and try and ease doing so at current market conditions.

Best
Ale