Re: [Last-Call] Opsdir last call review of draft-ietf-bess-nsh-bgp-control-plane-13

Thanks for this review.

I see you were looking at the -13 revision which is the most recent.

Per Brian Carpenter's GenArt review of -12 we added some text to clarify "controller".
Section 1
   Controller (a centralized network component responsible for planning
   and coordinating Service Function Chaining within the network)
Section 2.1
   An essential component of this solution is the
   Controller.  This is a network component responsible for planning
   SFPs within the network.  It gathers information about the
   availability of SFIs and SFFs, instructs the control plane about the
   SFPs to be programmed, and instructs the Classifiers how to assign
   traffic flows to individual SFPs.

I don't think this Controller is an "SDN Controller" according to the two references you suggest. Indeed, the assumption in this document is that an active control plane is in use which is somewhat against the assumptions of the documents you point to. You could say that this Controller is more akin to a stateful PCE, but I don't even want to make that comparison in this document because the use of a PCE normally implies the presence of PCEP.

In short, I think that the text we have to describe a Controller, combined with the various explanations throughout the document that say what a Controller does, are enough to make the term contained within this document.

You're right about the downrefs.

7665 is, I think, established as a permissible downref. It has been used multiple times, although it is not listed at https://trac.ietf.org/trac/iesg/wiki/DownrefRegistry

8596 caught me by surprise. I don't understand why it is not Standards Track. It uses 2119 language and describes how to implement/interop.

I think I'll leave this to the AD to worry about!

Best,
Adrian