Re: [Last-Call] Last Call: <draft-ietf-ipsecme-qr-ikev2-09.txt> (Postquantum Preshared Keys for IKEv2) to Proposed Standard

On 11 Dec 2019, at 8:23, Salz, Rich wrote:

We are seeing a flurry of these kind of “post quantum protection” things.

This is the only one I have seen that is a method, not a new key exchange algorithm. It is understandable that you could have missed this from the title which misstates the topic. A much better title would be "Mixing Preshared Keys in IKEv2 for Postquantum Resistance".

This is premature.

Disagree. The method described in the document has been well-discussed in the IPsecME for years, getting good cryptographic review.

The co-chair of the CFRG, Kenny Paterson, said so awhile back.

I don't think that's what he said in the slides you posted, but I've Cc'd him so he can reply. The slides are about picking new post-quantum algorithms; what is described in the draft is a method for mixing in preshared secrets with current algorithms.

--Paul Hoffman