Re: Handling HTAB in artwork/sourcecode, was: [art] New RFCs text formatting

On 03.12.2019 17:34, Carsten Bormann wrote:
On Dec 3, 2019, at 17:27, John C Klensin <john-ietf@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Helpful but, if we are concerned about what the final output
looks like, wouldn't it be easier to have authors just convert
HT to the widths they prefer and to modify the nits checker to
notice their presence?  And for the RFC Editor to be sure that
none of them make it into final output?

Yes.

It seems to me Julian’s code was simply providing the error message in the form of a red U+2409 «␉», so you can locate the HT if you don’t have an appropriate editor program.

Right.

xml2rfc in v3 mode should just give proper diagnostics and/or abort
processing (right now it seems to just replace the TAB by multiple TAB
characters, which is clearly not what the spec is requiring).

Best regards, Julian