Re: [art] New RFCs text formatting

On 29-Nov-19 08:05, Julian Reschke wrote:
> On 28.11.2019 17:33, John C Klensin wrote:
>> [1] The concern is about user-developed tools, used by one
>> person or a cluster of people who have shared them, not ones
>> developed or maintained under IETF auspices.
>
> Do you have a concrete case of a tool that fails with the new format?
>
>> [2] Reading RFC 7994 only after these changes were identified, I
>> find that Sections 4.1ff remove headers and footers and the page
>> numbers from the TOC.  But the introductory paragraph of Section
>> 4 does say
>>
>> 	"One plain-text output will be created during the
>> 	publication process with basic pagination that includes
>> 	a form feed instruction every 58 lines at most,
>> 	including blank lines."
>>
>> So perhaps that omission is a bug.
>
> AFAIR, the intent was to *paginate*, nothing more (yes, no headers,
> footers, no page numbers).

What I care most about is to have a side-by-side diff format as useful as rfcdiff produces. From a practical point of view, that has been the greatest benefit of pagination and fixed width font for many years now. The ability to print on a line printer or a Diabolo hasn't been important for 25 years or so.

   Brian