Follow-up on Hong Kong Injunction

The ISOC HK chapter just shared the following update on the matter which the Open Letter addressed.  The text of the update is available in both Chinese and English, but the key point is here:

Judgement was issued this afternoon which the injunction will continue to be effective. However, taking into account the legal perspectives of ISOC HK, the judge narrowed the scope of the original injunction and amended that only those with the intent to incite will be found guilty under the new injunction order. The judgement also made clear that platform operators are not required under the injunction order to exercise instantaneous censorship of the online content of all posts on the platforms, or to police or filter out information or messages.

I am personally encouraged by this, and I believe that the ISOC HK chapter deserves our thanks in working toward this end.

A number of people reached out to me today to ask if they could add their name to the letter.  I believe, given this news, that this is no longer necessary. However, I encourage everyone who is concerned with matters of this type to follow the work of ISOC and its chapters on the related issues.  Similar issues have come up before and no doubt will again; all of our voices are needed.

regards,

Ted Hardie